WIXOM PUBLIC LIBRARY
Mobile Makerspace Policy
The purpose of the Mobile Makerspace is to provide library patrons access to various new technologies and traditional arts and crafts that support their educational and personal goals and endeavors and the mission of the Library.
A. Conditions of Use
1. Prior to using the Mobile Makerspace or participating in a Library hosted “workshop” for the Mobile Makerspace, patrons must sign a Release of Liability Agreement. The patron will be considered the “User” for the purpose of the Release of Liability Agreement. If the patron is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the Release of Liability Agreement. Patrons must also participate in a mandatory training session with a librarian or participate in a Library hosted “workshop” for using the equipment from the Mobile Makerspace and review this Policy before using the Mobile Makerspace.
2. Library patrons under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver over the age of 21 while using the Mobile Makerspace unless they are attending a sponsored library workshop involving the use of the Mobile Makerspace.
3. To use the Mobile Makerspace, a patron must register at the Information Desk and must leave a valid Library card or school or government issued identification.
B. Reservation of Equipment
1. Patrons may reserve equipment up to one week in advance.
2. Use is limited for two hours per day per patron, unless prior approval for additional time is made by the Library Director.
3. Reservations can be made in person, by phone, online or by email.
4. The Mobile Makerspace is open during normal business hours, but closes 30 minutes prior to the Library closing.
C. General Rules of Usage:
- All Patrons using the Makerspace must comply with all Library policies, including the Patron Behavior Policy and the Public Internet Access Policy
- Use of the Mobile Makerspace intended for discovery, learning, entertainment and prototyping purposes. Production of goods to be sold for profit is contrary to the Library’s mission and is prohibited.
- The Patron will follow all equipment safety procedures as documented in the training session, workshop and/or detailed in the owner’s manuals. Owner’s manuals will be available for review by the Patron.
- The Patron agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in the quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any of the tools or equipment.
- The Patron agrees that if any tool or piece of equipment becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he/she will immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify Library staff.
- The patron must report any accident/incident that occurs to a Library staff member, at the time of the accident/incident.
- Items used in the Makerspace are to be returned in the same condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. The Patron agrees to pay for the loss or damage to any items and further agrees to accept the Library staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or total.
- The Patron agrees to take precautions to avoid causing unnecessary mess. The Patron agrees to clean up his/her workspace following use.
- The Patron agrees to inform a library staff member in the event that they are unable to return a work surface, tool or equipment to its original state.
- The Patron acknowledges that the Library is only able to provide consumable materials on a limited basis. The Patron agrees to avoid wasting consumable supplies and materials.
- Patrons will follow all applicable intellectual property laws, including all copyright laws.
- The Library does not accept responsibility if a project is destroyed, does not print correctly or does not work.
- The Library will not offer refunds for supplies used.
- The Library does not accept responsibility if a patron’s personal equipment (VHS, DVD) is damaged or destroyed while using the tools.
- Library staff reserves the right to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate Wixom Public Library policy.
- Only library computers may be connected to library machines, i.e., the 3D printer, silhouette machine, etc.
- Projects must be approved prior to the use of the 3D printer. The 3D printer will be run by library staff.
- Food and drinks are prohibited when using the Makerspace.
- Patrons must save their work on an external memory source — external hard drive, CD, DVD, or flash drive (A limited number of CDs, DVDs, and flash drives are available at the Information Desk).
- All equipment available in the Makerspace must stay within the Library.
- It is the responsibility of the patron to delete and/or remove any files (digital or print) from the Library equipment in the Makerspace. The Library is not responsible for equipment or files (digital or print) left behind by customers.
- Library staff will provide very limited assistance in using the equipment and software or transporting of supplies, equipment, or furniture to and from the Makerspace.
- While the Library makes every effort to oversee the use of the equipment, usage of the equipment is not under the direction or control of the Library. The Library is not responsible for any object created with the use of the equipment, including any harm or injury incurred as a result of any usage of the equipment.
- The Library Director or his or her designee may refuse a patron’s request to use the equipment at any item if, in his or her judgement, the patron has not abided by this policy. The patron may appeal this may decision within 10 business days to the Library Board.
The Library will strive to keep some basic, learning-level materials on hand, intended for learning and exploration. The supplies are not meant to comprise your project needs. A variety of supplies will also be available in the Makerspace for an additional charge.
- 3D printer (M3D): (2 cents per inch)
- Burnable DVD: (50 cents per DVD)
- Button Maker: (25 cents per button)
- Laminating Sheets: (25 cents per sheet)
- Silhouette Machine Paper: (10 cents per sheet)
Release of Liability Agreement
THIS AGREEMENT made this ___ day of ___________20__, by and between Wixom Public Library and _____________________________________(User).
In consideration for User’s participation in the use of the Library’s Mobile Maker Space of Wixom Public Library, User agrees as follows:
1. Conditions of Use. The User agrees that the (a) User has reviewed the Library’s Mobile Makerspace Policy and agrees to its terms, which are incorporated by reference into this Agreement, and the (b) User has been trained by Library Staff or participated in a Library workshop regarding the use of the Mobile Makerspace. The User agrees to comply with all Library policies, including the payment of any fees associated with the use of the Mobile Makerspace. If the User is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian agrees to this Release of Liability on behalf of the minor child and the term “User” applies to both the minor child and any parent or legal guardian.
2. Assumption of Risk. User acknowledges the inherent risks in the use of tools, equipment, devices, and hazardous materials of any kind commonly used in electronics construction, fabrication, software design and other technology related activities and that User’s participation in such activities and/or use of the Library’s Mobile Makerspace may result in injury, illness, death or damage to User or User’s personal property.
Further, such risks and dangers may be caused by User or other Users. Finally, such injury, illness death or damage to User or User’s personal property, may arise from foreseeable or unforeseeable causes. User, and for such heirs, family, estate and assigns, hereby fully assumes all such risks (known, unknown and/or unforeseen) and any others which arise in connection with the use of the Wixom Public Library’s Mobile Makerspace.
3. Release of Liability. User, including the User’s heirs, family, estate, executors and assigns, releases the Wixom Public Library, its staff, board members, exhibitors, guests, fellow Mobile Makerspace users/patrons, employees, agents, guests and assigns from any liability, claims, losses, demands, causes of action whatsoever arising or that could arise out of any damage, loss or injury to User or User’s property while using the Mobile Makerspace of Wixom Public Library and/or using any equipment owned by Wixom Public Library or another User or guest of Wixom Public Library regardless of whether such loss or injury is as a result of negligence of Wixom Public Library or its users, guests, agents and assigns, or is a result of some other cause. This release includes all damages, costs, medical costs, expenses, attorneys’ fees and any other losses.
4. Covenant Not to Sue. User agrees that User will not, under any circumstances, initiate any legal action or administrative proceeding against Wixom Public Library, its staff, board members, exhibitors, fellow Wixom Public Library users/patrons, employees, agents guests, and assigns nor will User assist in the prosecution of any such legal action filed by another, arising out of an injury to the person or property of User while participating in the use of the Mobile Makerspace in the Wixom Public Library. This covenant extends to include the family, estate, heirs, executors, administrators or assigns of User.
5. Third Party Indemnification. User indemnifies, saves and holds harmless Wixom Public Library, its Users, agents and assigns from any and all losses, claims, demands, causes of actions or proceedings of every kind and character which may be initiated by any other persons or organizations and which arise directly or indirectly from the actions of User while engaged in the use of the Mobile Makerspace by using the Wixom Public Library’s tools, equipment, materials, space, or educational opportunities. User hereby acknowledges that User has carefully read all of the above provisions, fully understands same, and voluntarily signs this document as a condition of use of the Wixom Public Library Mobile Makerspace
6. Damage of tools and equipment. If User damages the Mobile Makerspace, they will be liable for the damage, which may include replacement costs. The User agrees to be liable for any me
User agrees to use the facilities, tools, and materials in a safe way, and to alert the Wixom Public Library staff, and/or program leaders when facilities, tools, and materials are being used in a way that could cause harm to themselves or others.
Age, if under 18 ___ or Over 18 (check here) ___
Wixom Public Library authorized personnel signature
User Name (printed) ______________________________________________
Parent/Legal Guardian Name (printed) ______________________________________________
User or Legal Parent/Guardian signature ______________________________________________